How I Am Riding Through My Stress And Studies
With the increasing involvement of young minds towards studies (specifically engineering and doctor-ship) it is becoming all the more difficult to appease my parent's will towards my academics. It is a well known fact that Bengali families are of a peculiar off the trend community altogether (pardon me for not mentioning the exceptions). In Bengali families... science is considered as the only subject and if a student just as sure decides to pursue some other subject, his will is treated with either tremendous contempt or complete indifference. I myself have discovered that off late my mind is more inclined towards "English" than "Science", but most off my (nosy) neighbors and (meddlesome) relatives think that the future of any other subject is doom or at least loss of prestige in itself.
Here to survive the constant accusations, curses, taunts and retributions targeted at you by people in your proximity... you need to constantly outshine your batch-mates in Science, even if you are least interested in it. You have to wear that trouser well above your belly-button, plus if the doctor has prescribed you the specs for your eyes... you then make a perfect living combo of an ideal Bengali son.
I would like to ask apologies from all the readers because, some families are of the more tolerant breed and heed to every prospective that their son and daughter have to speak about.
So... going into personal details... my mom and dad, are semi-orthodox in this matter. They sure do want me to become a doctor or an engineer but on the other hand never rule off the possibilities of me taking up "English" or "journalism" as a foundation for my career.
They sure forced me to take up "biology" as my 6th subject... but sued themselves on learning that I could fetch no more than 54 marks out of a possible 100 in my biology 10+2 exams.
Though Biology as a subject seemed utmost lack-luster to me... yet I never was a student to get a 54% marks in Biology (or so I thought myself to be). Studies in the 11th or 12th standard require more than just I.Q. or intuition... it need dedication, it needs hours of mind-boggling, fatiguing and meticulous time spent solely in front of your books.
, not just in front of it... but quite into it.... especially when you have enrolled yourself (forcibly or by your own free will) into science.
Taking up that heinous subject and thinking that you'll pass the test without much of a stress seems morbid. Believe me you will be disillusioned... and the reality will be even more ravenous than a nightmare where a chemistry book chases you spitting jet-shots of concentrated sulfuric acid! (#joke).
If this is too strenuous and not quite like you... you can always opt for some out of convention courses...(that's what i kept telling myself). Whenever I read the newspapers, especially the sections that told of new career and academic opportunities, I would stare blankly, sit up straight, get attracted to one, then another, and finally end up scratching my head... confused as to which option suits me best.
This confusion is quite inescapable given that I spent most of the time reading story-books and monotonously utilizing my fingers in front of my cellular device. But it just took one incident ... one small incident to turn one of my million whimsical attractions into one solid decision... and that was when my teacher praised me for something. It was not the first time, but it was "that" one time which helped me take a step forward. Not that it helped my study my science well... but it helped me poise an alternative to science itself (a relief!).
I sat for the entrances out here... and fared a pretty decent result in 1 out of 5 ( a nationwide rank of 29... is cool enough , in my opinion). I thought my fate was sealed... but life provides you with the sharpest of the bends en route and you just have to make the turn. My mother objected!
So I began a renewed quest... to search for a college of my (and my parents') choice, not even knowing which which subjects I must choose to fit the bill. And I am in the same position ever-since... probably like err.. most of you?? Whatever be the case... I am leaving no stone un-turned, trying to probe into every opportunity like never before.
Also after my results I realized that if your results are of the types that get you kicked out of competition, you can go out from your birthright convention of applying for the so-called "best" colleges and apply for those unsung ones... and as you research further, you'll see that even those considered in the lower rungs... have pretty good courses and in-depth of the subjects you apply for...
And as always... the bottom-line is- "Never back down"... if my words don't help, try tuning into "I'm gonna Live" (Bon Jovi), maybe that might give you a well deserved lift.
Here to survive the constant accusations, curses, taunts and retributions targeted at you by people in your proximity... you need to constantly outshine your batch-mates in Science, even if you are least interested in it. You have to wear that trouser well above your belly-button, plus if the doctor has prescribed you the specs for your eyes... you then make a perfect living combo of an ideal Bengali son.
I would like to ask apologies from all the readers because, some families are of the more tolerant breed and heed to every prospective that their son and daughter have to speak about.
So... going into personal details... my mom and dad, are semi-orthodox in this matter. They sure do want me to become a doctor or an engineer but on the other hand never rule off the possibilities of me taking up "English" or "journalism" as a foundation for my career.
They sure forced me to take up "biology" as my 6th subject... but sued themselves on learning that I could fetch no more than 54 marks out of a possible 100 in my biology 10+2 exams.
Though Biology as a subject seemed utmost lack-luster to me... yet I never was a student to get a 54% marks in Biology (or so I thought myself to be). Studies in the 11th or 12th standard require more than just I.Q. or intuition... it need dedication, it needs hours of mind-boggling, fatiguing and meticulous time spent solely in front of your books.
, not just in front of it... but quite into it.... especially when you have enrolled yourself (forcibly or by your own free will) into science.
Taking up that heinous subject and thinking that you'll pass the test without much of a stress seems morbid. Believe me you will be disillusioned... and the reality will be even more ravenous than a nightmare where a chemistry book chases you spitting jet-shots of concentrated sulfuric acid! (#joke).
If this is too strenuous and not quite like you... you can always opt for some out of convention courses...(that's what i kept telling myself). Whenever I read the newspapers, especially the sections that told of new career and academic opportunities, I would stare blankly, sit up straight, get attracted to one, then another, and finally end up scratching my head... confused as to which option suits me best.
This confusion is quite inescapable given that I spent most of the time reading story-books and monotonously utilizing my fingers in front of my cellular device. But it just took one incident ... one small incident to turn one of my million whimsical attractions into one solid decision... and that was when my teacher praised me for something. It was not the first time, but it was "that" one time which helped me take a step forward. Not that it helped my study my science well... but it helped me poise an alternative to science itself (a relief!).
I sat for the entrances out here... and fared a pretty decent result in 1 out of 5 ( a nationwide rank of 29... is cool enough , in my opinion). I thought my fate was sealed... but life provides you with the sharpest of the bends en route and you just have to make the turn. My mother objected!
So I began a renewed quest... to search for a college of my (and my parents') choice, not even knowing which which subjects I must choose to fit the bill. And I am in the same position ever-since... probably like err.. most of you?? Whatever be the case... I am leaving no stone un-turned, trying to probe into every opportunity like never before.
Also after my results I realized that if your results are of the types that get you kicked out of competition, you can go out from your birthright convention of applying for the so-called "best" colleges and apply for those unsung ones... and as you research further, you'll see that even those considered in the lower rungs... have pretty good courses and in-depth of the subjects you apply for...
And as always... the bottom-line is- "Never back down"... if my words don't help, try tuning into "I'm gonna Live" (Bon Jovi), maybe that might give you a well deserved lift.

Comments
Post a Comment